Thursday, April 3, 2014

"Noatmeal"

oh muh gah oh muh gah oh muh gah! ITS PALEO OATMEAL!!

Topped with some berries and agave.. And eaten in bed. So it's even better!


So I have a weird relationship with oatmeal. I hated it growing up (all the way to about... 21 years old). The consistency was what turned me off to it until I found a Kashi brand I liked with whole oats that stayed pretty well intact and wasn't watery slop in a bowl.


Fast forward a few years and I found CrossFit and the Zone diet and Paleo. On Zone, you are allowed to have oatmeal because, as far as a grain goes, it is very low glycemic. That means it does less to spike your blood sugar than other grains and foods. However that doesn't negate it from some of the other bad things grains do to your gut.


So I cut out oatmeal, then put it back in with organic natural options, then argued that I shouldn't eat it, but I wanted it for its warm comfort, stick to your insides feeling.. and the fact that sometimes Paleo brings me to a super low carb state in which I am tired all the time. So I argued that occasionally, I can have it.


The problem with that is I have no filter when it comes to occasions and it kind of turns into  "I'll eat it whenever I want". That is when this lovely recipe showed up while perusing PaleoPlan.com and I found a fantastic alternative that keeps the "warm and sticky" without all the negatives of grains going around. 


Plus, this recipe has a high amount of protein coming from the eggs (although to be honest it says it feeds two and I definitely ate it all myself.. a lot of people might not be able to do that so save some and eat it later), along with all the other obviously nommy ingredients.

Anyway - here is the recipe =] Go make ya some!



"Noatmeal"
Prep Time: 10min           Cook Time: 10-15min

Ingredients:
> 1/4 cup walnuts (feel free to sub any nut for any of these you don't like)
> 1/4 cup pecans
> 2 TBSP flax Seeds
> 1/4 cup coconut milk (you can also use almond milk)
> 3 eggs
> 1 banana
> 1 TBSP almond butter
> 1 tsp cinnamon
> 1/4 tsp ground ginger
> couple shakes of nutmeg
> splash of vanilla
> berries, pumpkin seeds, coconut, agave, honey, etc (things to put on top of it if you want)

Instructions:
> In a food processor, add nuts and spices and grind until a coarse meal. Place in a bowl to the side.
> In the same food processor, toss in the banana, vanilla and almond butter and blend until smooth
> Whisk together eggs and milk in a bowl until smooth and creamy. 
> Add banana combo, mix well. Stir in nut mixture.
> Toss everything in to small saucepan and cook until it is at a consistency you like, making sure that the eggs are cooked through. Mine looked similar to a ball of dough and took about 10-12 min. the website says this should take 5... I don't know what kind of stovetop they were using but it must have been magic.
> Put in a bowl and add whatever toppings you'd like. 


I ate mine as one serving and felt fine after. It's filling but not energy draining or as heavy as oatmeal usually is (especially this amount). With all the delicious fats going on from the nuts and coconut milk, I should be satiated for a while, something I am always struggling with! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment