Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

I hate getting out of bed... Like.. super hate.

There is something innately painful for me about getting out of bed. Part of this is because I cannot put myself to bed early enough to actually get enough sleep.. so waking up for work sucks.. every..day. This then transfers into the weekend where I simply can't get enough sleep.


But seriously..

The other part is because my workout kicks my ass and it is literally painful to get out of bed. This one I can't really help, but it is a resolution (no, not New Years') of mine to work on the whole getting sleep thing. It's just hard to fit everything into 16 hrs.

The one thing that can get me out of bed though? Solid breakfast. Breakfast is my single favorite meal and I would eat it and all the contents of for every.. single.. meal.. And I rarely ever get to eat hot breakfast so this recipe is bonus awesome. Double bonus awesome for being a Crockpot recipe. SOOO easy!

This recipe comes to you originally from PaleOMG - An awesome site for a ton of Paleo recipes, not to mention the girl writing it is funny and entertaining to read.

* - denotes something I changed from the original recipe



Ingredients:
9 eggs (whisked)*
- 2 Sweet potatoes (shredded)*
- 1# Pork Sausage (choose wisely)
- 1/2 yellow onion *
- 1/2 TBSP Garlic powder*
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 bell pepper (technically I used 1 red and 1 green.. figure it out for you)
- Any other veggies you want to add (squash, spinach, avocado, etc)

Why I made changes:
- I wanted more eggs..
- I wanted more sweet potato bang for my buck. Ups the good energy factor.
- 1 whole onion sounded like a lot of onion.. I cut it in half and loved it. If you love yourself some onion.. add the other half back in.
- Garlic Powder.. I DIDN'T change this originally, and did the whole tablespoon... It was waayyy too much. Not only does my apartment STILL smell like roast garlic two whole days later.. I breathed garlic for a long time afterwards... not professional for work.

Directions:   (Prep time = about 15min - Serves 4-6)
1) Grease your crockpot with some oil. I used coconut oil. Rub some on a paper towel and coat the bottom and sides. Eggs are notorious for getting really stuck to stuff.

2) Shred your sweet potatoes. Use a grater or a grating attachment on a food processor if you have one. I do not so I used my totally awesome Mandolin slicer with the julienne blade. This gadget is the single best thing that has ever happened to the kitchen. No joke. Slicing made easy. Change thickness, Cut straight or wavy, and mine has two different "stick" attachments. It turned two sweet potatoes into a pile of matchsticks in no time.

Best.. invention.. ever.
3) After you have your nice pile of sweet potatoes, whisk up your eggs, dice your veggies and throw all this shiz in a fairly big bowl. You can also jsut start tossing in the crockpot but I wanted to maintain that oil barrier so mixed all up beforehand.

4) Add sausage. I just threw mine in the bowl and broke it up with the fork I used to mix up my eggs. If you want to try breaking it up before hand, be my guest.. I'm lazy and don't like dirtying more dishes than necessary.

5) Add all spices. Mix.

6) Pour into Crockpot, set to low and leave it alone! Cook for approx 7 hrs. Recipe calls for 6-8. I did 8 and it was overdone (still tasty though).

BONUS TIP! So obviously I wanted this for breakfast and it is recommended to get 8hrs of sleep every night. I totally DON'T do that, but I still don't want to set an alarm early just to turn off my Crockpot soooo I bought an outlet timer!! Target has these for about $6, and you can set it for 7hrs, and after that the power to the outlet will be shut off... no more worrying about timing of your crockpot meals!

Enjoy! Let me know if you try it, how you like it, what changes/additions you made!!

No comments:

Post a Comment