Tuesday, November 19, 2013

NOM-tastic Chicken Basil Meatloaf

We're getting right to it tonight... I'm not a big fan of regular meatloaf. This is supposed to be one of those great family traditions that everyone gets nostalgic about..

 I think its basically tasteless except for that layer (or mounds) of ketchup that people add to it, and I don't particularly like ketchup either. Meatloaf was just never something I ever looked forward to eating.. more like something I just endured rather than enjoyed, and I love food too much to suffer through eating it as well as putting the effort forth to make something like that.

Sorry future kiddos of mine, you are never getting meatloaf if I can help it.



Except this one.



Because this one is FANTASTIC!


I kind of want to sit with the bread pan in my lap and scoop [read: SHOVEL] this into my mouth and not stop until it is gone. I might as well haveflipped the entire loaf onto my plate and just gone to town. I'm really not sure that I can save it for last the "3-4 servings" it's supposed to be. I already ate my "serving" and I miss it.. 

I just checked my plate more than once to be sure there wasn't anything left on it.



This comes to you, yet again, from PaleOMG, and I cut the recipe in half. I spent some down time at work looking up copious amounts of recipes a few weeks back and it's like a card shuffle to decide what I cook when I have the chance. I highly recommend doing the same for those who "never know what to cook".



Delicious NOM-tastic Chicken, Basil Meatloaf
 Prep Time: 5min            Cook time: 23min            Servings: 3-4

Ingredients 
- 1# Ground Chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/2 heaping cup fresh basil, chopped*
- 1 tsp onion powder*
- 1 tsp garlic powder*
- 1 tsp dried parsley*
- salt and pepper to taste

Why I changed things
- Basil is fantastic and I wanted as much of the flavor as I could get without it turning into a salad.
- Original recipe, cut in half, both powders would've been 1.5 tsp, but I learned from my trial with Crockpot Breakfast Casserole that you can't undo spices once added and I'm proud to agree I was right again on this one. Had I included the extra 1/2 tsp of both it would've been overpowering.
- Doubled the parsley because.. more herby-ness the better in my book! Plus parsley is a pretty innocuous [ooo vocab] herb.

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a bowl [I added a dusting of both salt and pepper here]
- Stick it all in a bread loaf pan (I sprayed mine with some olive oil just in case), and even it out. 
- Oven, 23 min ish or until it's not pink in the middle any more. Mine just barely started browning on the edges. 
- EAT! (And comment afterwards to tell me what you thought =] )

Nom nom nom. My pictures aren't fancy and they never will be. They come from my phone and they'll keep coming from my phone.. I don't use a filter. You get what you get =] 


No comments:

Post a Comment